The Listening Centre (TLC) is an Oxford-based registered charity that has been offering affordable counselling in Oxfordshire since 1993.
We offer an opportunity for trainee counsellors and psychotherapists to work with individual clients on a time-limited basis while completing their training and working towards qualification.
Our counsellors often join us with limited practical experience of counselling and by the time they leave us they are often fully-fledged practitioners capable of working in private practice. We aim to maintain long-term links with practitioners after they have left the organisation.
TLC does not have an office. It operates as a virtual organisation, with all day-to-day communications done by email, phone, teleconference etc.
We are committed to ensuring that no one is discriminated against on the grounds of age, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion or disability.
We are funded entirely by donations, grants and client fees.
The Administrator will report to one of the Trustees and will be responsible for all aspects of administration for the charity.
Key activities and responsibilities
- Build and maintain good relationships with the Manager and her team at our main premises: Blackbird Leys Children and Family Centre, 61/63 Cuddesdon Way, OX4 6SB
- Responsible for the smooth running of counselling sessions at the family centre including organising room bookings, keys, security and supplies
- Liaise with our contacts at the other premises where we operate when required
- Organise and undertake all counsellor onboarding in relation to counsellor administrative obligations
- Organise counsellor reviews
- Log supervision hours for each counsellor to ensure that they are meeting their obligations
- Keep the counsellor schedules up to date (who works where, and when)
- Maintain the online filing system
- Manage the collection of client statistics that are used for fundraising purposes
- Maintain the contact records of all members and ensure that the different Google Groups are kept up to date
- Collect and open the post and respond to any queries
- Any other reasonable tasks requested by the Counsellor Coordinator, Group Supervisors or Trustees.
- At least five years’ experience of working in an Administrative role
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Live within easy reach of Blackbird Leys Children and Family Centre, 61/63 Cuddesdon Way, OX4 6SB
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Mature and self-reliant
- Self-motivated and able to work solo in a virtual organisation
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Passionate about the provision of affordable counselling
- Desire to give time to a worthwhile cause that is close to their heart
- Continually looking for new, more effective ways of doing things
Ideally we are looking for someone with personal experience of the positive benefits of seeing a counsellor or therapist.
The whole organisation meets every three months at Community Meetings. These are held on a Saturday morning. Once a year in March the whole organisation meets on an Away Day. The Administrator will be expected to attend all these meetings.
In addition the trustees and officers hold quarterly Operations Meetings to which counsellors are invited. The Administrator will need to prepare and present a short summary of their work at these meetings, which are held 7.30-9pm, usually on a Monday.
- 3 x Community meetings (3 x 4 hours): 12 hours
- 1 x Away Day (1 x 8 hours): 8 hours
- 4 x Operations meetings (4 x 2.5 hours): 10 hours
- Average of 20 hours per month (12 x 20 hours): 240 hours
- Total: 270 hours per year
The above figures allow for one hour of travelling for each meeting.
This is a part-voluntary position. The annual remuneration is £4,000, payable monthly. We recognise that this is about half of the commercial rate for this kind of role.
All reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.
Please email your CV and a covering letter to Julian Sharples, Chair of the Trustees.
The closing date for applications is Friday 24 January 2020.