The Listening Centre (TLC) offers an opportunity for trainee counsellors and psychotherapists to work with individual clients on a time-limited basis while completing their training and working towards qualification. Applications from qualified counsellors are also welcome.
We also have a number of other volunteer roles such as Trustees and Associates.
We are currently recruiting for a Volunteer Fundraiser / Bid Writer. Click here for more information.
What TLC requires of our volunteer counsellors
TLC is unique in that the volunteer counsellors are required to help with the running of the organisation, which provides a valuable opportunity for professional development. TLC expects that volunteers will commit for a minimum of two years and see three clients per week. These terms and conditions are part of the contract that is issued to volunteers.
- Is committed to ensuring that no-one is discriminated against on the grounds of age, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion or disability;
- Accepts counsellors, psychotherapists and counselling psychologists who are currently in training on recognised training courses;
- Is committed to ensuring a range of experience within the team;
- Has counsellors and psychotherapists from a range of disciplines and training encompassing a variety of therapeutic approaches.
Volunteer counsellor: Selection criteria
Volunteers must meet the following criteria for an application to be considered:
- Experience of working in a mental health setting, e.g. counselling, 1-to-1 care/help, befriending.
- Currently studying for a qualification recognised by a professional body.
- In at least their second year of study at a minimum of diploma level or have significant counselling experience from a previous placement.
- Completed at least one year of personal therapy prior to commencing, and to continue during placement.
- Organise and fund clinical supervision sessions every fortnight for a minimum of 1.5 hours per month, in accordance with BACP guidelines.
- Use of email, internet, electronic document formats to at least an intermediate standard.
- Applications are accepted throughout the year.
- Three satisfactory references will be required from those identified as preferred candidates before a formal offer is made.
- TLC operates an Equal Opportunities Policy.
- TLC adheres to the BACP ethical framework.